A2 Hosting was established in 2001 in Michigan as Iniquinet, but later on, in 2003, it changed its name to A2 Hosting. It has been providing some of the fastest server speeds to date. Their customer support is very efficient and the hosting plans budget-friendly.
I have browsed their website and read that 97% of their customers are satisfied with their service. They vow that their servers are ‘up to 20x faster’- Is this true? Well, read to find out.
In this article, I am going to talk about:
- Customer Support
- Pros and cons
What differentiates A2 hosting from Bluehost? I am going to give you straight facts so that you can make an informed decision. But before you proceed to read this article, click here to read about what web hosting is so you have guidance.
I cannot emphasize enough how performance is the top deciding factor to take into consideration when registering for a web hosting company.
If you have read my previous article on features to look for in a web hosting company, you know that speed is an important factor because it affects both user experience but SEO rankings.
Research says that a one-second drop in website speed can decrease your conversion rate by 7%. A 3-second delay can even cost you 50% of your traffic. Even if your hosting provider has the most advanced technology or features, it is extremely pointless if they can’t offer great speeds.
I am not an expert so these statistics I am providing you with have been tested by experts.
This test was conducted to test A2 Hosting’s speed and uptime and below are the results.
A2 Hosting guarantees a 99.9% uptime for all their clients in their Terms of Service.
They also monitored A2 hosting’s speed for a month with other competitors like Bluehost, Hostgator, etc. They used tools like Pingdom, GTmetrix, Webpagetest.org, and Google’s PageSpeed Insights.
They stated that A2 Hosting’s speed is very impressive and had an outstanding performance. and the table below shows. A2 Hosting was among the top 3 providers in the tests.
A2 Hosting offers six different types of hosting.
This can be overwhelming if you don’t know what each hosting entails.
So if you want an in-depth explanation, click here to read.
But If you want a brief explanation of each hosting:
– Shared hosting is the most affordable and beginner-friendly type of hosting that’s good for website starters. However, this type of hosting cannot handle a large website with lots of traffic.
– WordPress hosting is tailored to WordPress websites and blogs, so if you already have a site with WordPress or want to create one, this is your best option.
– VPS hosting is great for small business sites. It goes beyond the basics of shared hosting but isn’t as expensive as dedicated plans.
– Cloud hosting is great for scalability and flexibility. Your website is stored on multiple servers, meaning you can pull resources from a variety of different places. This makes it perfect if your site experiences hikes in dips in things like traffic.
– Dedicated hosting is the most expensive, but also the most scalable and powerful type of hosting.
– Reseller hosting is for aspiring web hosting companies owners or developers. You will need to rent hard drive space and bandwidth from A2 Hosting, but unlike every other hosting plan, it doesn’t stop there. You would also need to rent that space to a third party (for example, to small business) as if you were the hosting provider. Prices start at $9.80/month.
As with all hosting companies, features vary according to every hosting pricing plan, but A2 Hosting has a score of 4.3/5 in features because the company lives up to what they advertise. But if you ever want more services, you will need to pay extra cash.
Every A2 Hosting plan comes with a free cPanel control panel and SSL certificate. Unlike other companies that charge over $100 for site migration, A2 hosting offers it for free which is pretty generous. On top of that, they offer eco-friendly ‘green hosting’ solutions and special discounts for non-profit businesses.
All of A2 Hosting’s shared and WordPress plans include unlimited SSD storage and transfer which is standard for every company. If you decide to upgrade beyond shared hosting, you’ll get unlimited email accounts and automatic site backups.
When you sign up for a plan with A2 hosting, you’ll have the option to:
- Pay by the month
- Pay for one year in advance
- Pay for two years in advance
- Pay for three years in advance
Three years seems like a huge commitment – so what’s the appeal? The more time you commit to, the lower the prices get. For example, the Lite Shared plan starts at $1.98/month when you pay in advance for three years, versus $3.30/month when you pay by the month.
On top of free SSL certificates In every plan, A2 Hosting has its own Perpetual Security initiative which is top-notch. Your account comes with free HackScan protection which works 24/7 to prevent attacks that come against your site. Their security initiative has a whole package which is just exceptional.
– Dual Hosting Firewall: in addition to an overall network firewall, your A2 Hosting account includes an additional server firewall to block unauthorized users.
– Limited Server Access: instead of passwords, A2 Hosting’s staff members use keys to access servers. Keys are more secure than passwords, because they function as a conversation between the computer and the server, rather than as a simple code (password) that anyone could potentially guess.
– Server Hardening: this means strengthening network settings and tightening access control to increase the server’s security.
– Reinforced DDoS Protection: Distributed Denial of Service (or DDoS) attacks occur when a large volume of fake traffic gets sent to a web server, using up the server’s resources so that legitimate traffic is unable to access it.
They have a domain checker and During the sign-up process, you’ll be confronted with all kinds of add-ons (dubbed “Configurable Options”) to choose from.
Unlike the most popular web hosting companies, A2 Hosting doesn’t auto-select paid options that you have to manually uncheck, which is convenient.
But this also means the good stuff won’t be checked for you, either. For example, remember to select the free tier of A2’s website builder if that’s a service you’re interested in.
Physical security is also important because data centers are also vulnerable. So visitors to A2 Hosting’s data center require two different security cards to enter the premises, which are enhanced with video surveillance.
Besides, each server is fully enclosed by cages, where keys are required to access the server. With all of these measures set in place, A2 Hosting’s servers are well-secured both on and offline.
A2 has been dubbed the ‘Best for Customer Service’ by website experts. The Guru Crew as their assistants like to be called is available 24/7 to make sure your site runs smoothly. You have the availability of support options.
- Online tickets
- A searchable knowledge base
- Global phone lines
- A live chat feature
Pros and Cons of A2 Hosting
- Speed – This is their slogan, so it should not come as no surprise that A2 hosting is fast. They are the fastest shared hosting provider and have been for several years.
2. Free ‘HackScan’– This keeps your site safe. Their servers are protected by ‘HackScan’ which is a 24/7 monitoring service that scans for malware and other attacks day-in and day- out.
3. Free Site Migrations – A2 Hosting will move your existing website to their servers at no extra charge on all plans. All you will have to do is reach out to their customer support department with your cPanel account credentials and the rest will be taken care of.
4.Content Management Systems (CMS), Website Builders, and Developer-Friendly Tools – A2 Hosting works seamlessly with all major content management systems. You can install a WordPress, OpenCart, Drupal, Joomla, or Magento site with just a few clicks. No need for a developer to help you out.
5. Anytime Money-Back Guarantee – you can get a full refund within the first 30 days of signing up for an account, and a prorated refund at any time after that.
This massively sets A2 Hosting apart from its competitors
5.Responsive customer service – A2 Hosting’s “Guru Crew” customer service team is highly rated, and always around to help
6. Super secure servers – A2 Hosting takes extra measures to make sure its servers – and therefore, your website – are both digitally and physically secure
1. High Renewal Rates – A2 hosting has a slight price break on long-term plans. Preparing for three years will blow up a couple of dollars off the monthly price which can eventually add up over 36 months.
A2 hosting has introductory pricing for new customers but the problem is that when your initial term expires, automatic renewal will kick in at the ‘regular’ pricing (almost double what you first paid)
Many web hosting companies will pull this same stunt one way or the other because they know that if you are happy with their service, it’s going to be stressful for you to move your site again before the price increase kicks in.
According to their terms, you have to submit a written cancellation request ‘15 days before the beginning of the Renewal Term’ through their customer portal or by emailing them at email@example.com
So keep in mind not to miss the 15-day mark!!
2.Restrictions on Cheap plan – They standard price for A2 Hosting’s cheapest shared hosting option( Lite) is currently $2.96/month (51% off the regular price).
But when you take an in-depth look at the price with what you’re getting, compared to competitors like Bluehost and Hostgator, it’s very lackingSince this plan only gets you a single website, with unlimited storage, a free SSL, the site migration, and Anytime Money – Back Guarantee.
You miss a lot of benefits that come with A2 hosting provides like Turbo Servers that provide ‘up to 20X faster page loads’ and off-site backups.
There are four different shared hosting plans available for your choosing.
Below is a quick overview.
Many web hosting companies offer either one or the other, so it’s great to see that A2 offers both that meet the needs of a wide range of customers.
Entry — Starting at $5 per month
Mid — Starting at $10 per month
Elite — Starting at $15 per month
Power+ — Starting at $25 per month
Prestige+ — Starting at $35 per month
Pinnacle+ — Starting at $50 per month
If you want to know if A2 hosting is really for you…
- Customer Support is your number one priority.
- you’re interested in cloud or reseller hosting.
- Security is very important to you
If you’re not satisfied with their service, its any time money-back guarantee makes it a great low-risk provider to try out firsthand.