Chinese cinematographer’s family sues US university after two students killed during filming

The parents of a cinematographer have sued the University of Southern California for wrongful-death on Monday after their son, along with two other students, was killed on the

varsity’s campus during a film shoot for an assignment in April. Peng Wang, a student at Chapman University, died after the off-road vehicle in which he was travelling met

with an accident in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. His parents have accused the university of sanctioning the project and knowing that the teams of students will

be using off-road vehicles and shooting in the desert, reported the South China Morning Post citing the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles County superior court earlier this

week. The cost of damages sought by Wang’s family is not specified. Wang’s family have underlined that the university should have been responsible for the safety of

its students for a project which was to be graded in the class. “Safety should trump everything on student film projects made in fulfilment of USC class requirements,” it

said in the lawsuit, the report added. The lawsuit said that the top Columbian university bears a “responsibility to return the people who make its films back to their

families intact”. “USC is liable for its negligent failure to exercise control over, and to ensure safety on, the Finale student film project. That negligence resulted in

[Wang’s] death and the ensuing damages for which plaintiffs bring suit to recover,” the student’s family said in the lawsuit over the project which listed Wang as director of

photography.