Fundraiser for worker killed in St. Catharines industrial blaze surpasses goal

The sister of Ryan Konkin, the 37-year-old killed in a Jan. 12 industrial blaze in St. Catharines, says her family is "so grateful" for contributions to an online fundraising

campaign that will help launch a "life-long dream." In a video update just two days after launching the GoFundMe, Nicole Konkin explained the $10,000 was for Ryan's

ambition of operating a food truck in a collaboration with his fiancée Natalia. "I can't tell you what that means to everybody," said Konkin. "What it means ... to

be able to carry out Ryan's dream of having this food truck and being able to build up her life. The life that they were planning." As of Thursday afternoon, over $11,000

had been pledged to the native of Yorkton, Sask., who was living in Niagara Region and often fishing, gardening and sharing favourite dishes with family and friends during his

free time. Ryan, also survived by 15-year-old son Vincent, planned a life with his immediate family in a business plan that included the purchase of a specialty coffee

truck, according to his sister. Konkin died amid a deadly explosion at chemical disposal business, SSonix products, last week. He sustained significant burns to his

body and passed away the following morning in hospital, according to fire investigators. A candlelight vigil for Konkin is set for 6 p.m. Saturday night at Lakeside Park in

Port Dalhousie. Niagara police are calling on residents for help with the investigation seeking video footage of the explosions and fire, seen in a number of social media

posts last Thursday.